Have you ever noticed that when you're put on the spot to speak a language other than your own, ALL of the languages that you've ever learned start busting out of your mouth? I've tried Spanish and French since I've been here. Now, it's not like I am fluent in either of these...very far from it. However, when I'm pressed to begin speaking in a language other than English, somewhere, from the far depths of my brain come the French words that I could not for the life of me recall for my French exams, and that Spanish that I learned while traveling through Costa Rica.
I've given up trying to verify with complete certainty that something in a restaurant is completely vegetarian. Just too hard. I walked into the town of Fussa all on my own tonight, and had my first official Japanese dinner. Delightful! I don't really know what I ate, but it was a combination of veggies and fish, and mmmmm....SO good. I forgot to get Yen before I left the base, and most restaurants in Fussa do not accept dollars or credit cards. Luckily, I had 2,000 Yen, and my dinner was 1,400. This is the equivalent of $17.
Things are not cheap here in Japan...I went into the Japanese market in town, and found a melon...for $25. No joke. One apple, was $14.
Okay...as promised, here is the Japanese toilet that I'm infatuated with. The buttons on the side allow you to play a fake flushing noise to drown out the sounds that you make while you're in the bathroom. And...people use them. There is also a button for "extreme deodorant", "bidet" and "splash". I think you can also heat the seat. Entertaining.

No comments:
Post a Comment